Monday, January 30, 2012

adventure chronicles #3: Beach Bumming and Surfing Weekend

I've always set my retirement on living by the ocean with my mac, my pick up truck, my labs and all the books i want to read....


Been seeing this beautiful beach paradise called Calaguas all over the net and last weekend was my chance to visit it. Expectations didn't fail me at all, it definitely is a beach paradise and so damn beautiful. The trip I joined had an exciting added bonus too. We were going to one of the surf's spots near the beach and learn how to surf! Definitely a trip I'd join anytime.

The province of Bicol here in the Philippines is where all typhoons and weather disturbances hit first. It's located east of the country where most of the monsoons land. We're close to the summer season and rain is suppose not to happen by this time but of course after a long week of beautiful weather when we got there it was raining. I was happy the 9 other travelers who joined didn't make a fit about the weather and just continued with our journey.

This was an organized trip by people who love traveling and made a business out of it. You have an option to go solo or with a group of friends. This is my 2nd time to join them and i told myself everytime i do join this group I'm going solo all the time.

We were 10 travelers; 5 solo travelers, a group of 4 cousins, and our coordinator. This trip was called beach bumming experience so after 9 hours on the bus, 1 hour trip to the pier and an hour boat ride we landed on the beach and just did nothing! and that folks is what everyone should do once in a while --> escape and do nothing.

As soon as we landed, the rain stopped. The universe conspired and felt that was everyone's prayer at that moment.

One of the travelers drew this so the sun can come out. True enough it did!

This is what welcomed us as we docked....paradise!
The beach was so clear no trace of large corals or any rock formation underneath. The water was so clean, no sticky feeling just fresh sea water. The sand was just perfect as one traveler described it, it was cake sand. She was right, It felt like we were walking on sponge cake. And the best of it all, it was almost deserted just a handful of other beach goers. The loudest and maybe the only thing you can hear was the sound of waves crashing by the shore. Perfect as i remember it.

That trip yet again was another learning experience. Not only did i appreciate nature so much more i enjoyed and learned from the travelers i met. I discovered new music, I discovered how people interact, how they view things, How the youth have a deeper understanding of things around them. and life in the beach is the best! LOL..it was just an awesome awesome experience.

And this lesbian traveler came out and take note there wasn't even a drop of alcohol at that time. Story goes: we were having lunch (which was cooked by our guide there, we were pampered travelers that day, i tell you) and one traveler remembered his professor describing the weather we were having to a gay person. He stopped and looked around and asked wait is there anyone gay here? He felt i guess that he was being derogatory. Sometimes i forget I am gay because it's the least thing that occupies my thoughts. Just like all gay people, we don't say anything about our sexuality and like some gay people they say that they are gay when asked. So i after a long pause, I go "oh Yeah, I am" and things just continued and he didn't even mention why it was described to a gay person. And that made me realize, travelers will be one of the most open minded people because they wont have the guts to travel if they're not ready or open to anything that may happen.

Laing: One the province' most famous dish.....Though it looks like a clump of seaweed, this is one very tasteful coconut milked flavored spicy dish

The beauty of the beach wasn't over. By dusk, the sky transformed into a beautiful fire filled canvas. and by night time, amidts the cloudy sky the stars showed up and covered us with constellations and made us review what little we knew, hehehe. And to cap of the night the universe delighted us with a shooting star so we can wish before we slept. Unbelievably perfect!

Just sit back and stare.....
The next morning was a personal agenda: it was walking by the beach time, one thing i love doing. Even with a little hangover i didn't mind walking on cake and enjoy the beauty of the water and the sound of the waves. I guess that would also be the freshest air i would have stuffed my lungs with for this month.

Just walking along the beach

good morning, boat!
Before lunch we headed to our next destination: Bagasbas Beach in Daet, Bicol to learn how to surf! woohoo! this year will be learning all the water sports I can year.

Before heading to the water we were briefed with safety on the water, basics on how to get up and what to expect. Then it was surfing time. I Was quite proud of my myself for a first timer, i was able to get up without falling. My instructor said it didn't seem like it was my first time at all. I guess my core workouts helped, hehehe...No wonder they used the words stoked when surfing it was exactly what i was feeling. I was in a complete high, and was just extremely happy. Like sailing i should have done this earlier in life but nothing to worry we're never too old to learn anything new.

Just amazing to just stand up and let the waves move you
After several successful tries this soon to be old timer water lover had to quit. With my luck i slightly pulled my back muscles and i had to rest it out. hahaha! I really need to get this back checked and changed..lol...but nevertheless i was quite satisfied with the whole experience.

At the end of the day we were once again treated with a beautiful sunset and yummy food before heading back to reality.

This weekend beach experience is one for the books. Im happy i got to share it with you guys. You definitely have to try things you've always wanted. It's the only way to live life.


See you on my next journey





No comments:

Post a Comment