Saturday, August 4, 2012

adventure chronicles #9: Drag King Workshop

Performing on stage is one thing I truly enjoy. If I was blessed with a beautiful voice I know I would be a performer now.

After having watched the L word with Kit's episode with a drag king, i found myself saying " I want to do that!" For a conservative country like the Philippines Drag Kings are unheard of. Years ago, a couple of friends of mine have always wanted to set up a drag king event but for some reason we weren't able to put one up. So when our group organized a workshop I made myself available for that day. We had a long time drag king performer Dickie Jaxx to teach us the way to be king.

We were given an introduction on how drag kings are different from drag queens in terms of expression. I discovered aside from performing, alot of drag king performances have statements that go with the performances and that we are responsible for our shows in terms of music used and performances done.

My favorite part was the dressing and transformation part. Costume and make-up for me helps with the character. Putting facial hair, binding and packing was an exciting part of the workshop for me. I truly love performing and transforming to another persona and taking in another character is quite exciting.

We ended the workshop with a short performance. I enjoy performing with people who have no inhibitions, it makes the experience more fun. Those who attended this workshop were definitely people who knew how to have fun.

Can't wait to perform in an actual show.


suggestions for packing

We were asked to do our own pose and name it. I called this Rockstar

The crew


No comments:

Post a Comment